Sunday, January 8, 2012

The new lion's den: my thoughts on politics.

As much as I have become disenchanted with the political arena the past few months, I still love talking politics.  And I've learned all I have to do is open my big loud mouth if I want an exciting conversation about it.

The first thing you have to know about economics junkies like myself is that we're cynical of people in the political realm.  As Thomas Sowell said, the first principle of politics is to disregard the first lesson of scarcity in economics.  It's true.  A lot of deadweight loss occurs and inefficiency ensues just to cater to the political arena, and us financial people get sort of worn down by it.

But I'm not just one of "those financial people" - I'm a Christian.  Being a Christian is a much more fundamental part of who I am.  But I'm also a Christian who can hold a lot of controversial (and sometimes cynical) opinions.  I am often reminded of Christ's words on the matter of governmental authority when he spoke, "give to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser; but give to God what belongs to God."  At the end of the day, it's those words that have governed my political thought.


And that leaves me to the question: what belongs to Ceaser, and what belongs to God?

I've always been skeptical of "Christian politics" because no one has ever been able to tell me quite what that means.  Especially because "Christian politics" is just code word for "vote Republican".  However, if we use the language of "Christian politics" we can say it in Church.  I once talked to a Christian who rambled about "homosexuals taking over America!" and I asked her what the name of the organization was.

"What do you mean, the name of the organization?"  She asked.

"You know," I said, "You said gays were taking over America.  What's the name of their organization?"

She looked at me real funny.  "They don't have a name, they're just trying to take over the House and Senate and legalize gay marriage."

That conversation stuck with me for awhile, mainly because I can't name a single gay organization that is trying to run through America and take over, while I can name several Christian organizations off the top of my head who are.  I know several gay people who are some of the kindest people I've ever met, and I don't believe they are trying to take over America any time soon.  Yet most of what I hear from Christians today is a lot of political war rhetoric.

This is really were we are in the state of politics today: first, we're trying to make a more moral society by becoming more political.  Secondly, we're not very well informed.  Not only do I think politics is the worst way of achieving a moral society, but I think creating a moral society is a bad goal in the end.

Politics resembles painting: not only is the process not black and white, but there are a million shades of green.  Christians can talk about how terrible government organized healthcare coverage is, but I've never seen Christians have an honest conversation about how the Church can help people who could never afford health care coverage.  Christians can hold signs in front of Planned Parenthood, but I'd also like to see the Church dialogue about how to help under privileged women.  Christians may be able to give reasons why welfare is counter-productive, but we cannot neglect the poor simply because we are afraid of becoming "socalist".  We're called to engage; not simply prove our political beliefs to be valid.

If you carefully read Christ's gospels, most of the Conservative rhetoric just isn't there.  Rush Limbaugh can talk about traditional marriage all day long, but he's also the one who had Elton John sing at his fourth wedding.  He can talk about how the "liberal media" is silencing his voice, but only after he's made millions of dollars off delivering that message.  My point is, neither side of the political arena is very objective, intelligent or honest.

Not only do we need to stop using politics to create a moral society, but we need to stop blurring the lines between our faith and our politics because it's making our faith look bad.  Christ called us to trust him, give our lives in service, care for the oppressed, create peace, give generously and conduct ourselves honestly.  That's all.  I've never seen either political party uphold the same values.

God did not call us to create a political society or a moral one.  In my opinion, we should start telling more people about Jesus than how to build a strict moral culture.  If you want a religious culture, move to Salt Lake City and live religiously to your heart's content.

Christ has calls me to give generously to those who have less than I do.  Sometimes I have a hard time giving up even a small portion of my resources.

Christ calls me to not let the sun go down on my anger, but sometimes I can go days being angry at someone who simply holds a different opinion than my own.

Christ calls me to pray for my enemies, but I don't think I've ever prayed blessings for those who persecute Christians.

Christ calls me to love my neighbors, but sometimes I forget to remember all my neighbors.

My dear readers, that is the tragedy.  That tragedy is not that my political party has failed me.  The real tragedy is that the only thing that can truly change the culture - the gospel- is often blended with my political dogmatism.  Trying to solve cultural problems through politics is like trying to help a burn victim with a cheap first aid kit.

When Christ said give to Ceaser what is Ceaser's and to God what is God's, he left us with a very obvious question.  What is God's?  And the very obvious answer?  Everything.  Your mind.  Your energy.  Your wonder.  Your identity.  Your labor.  Your will.  Your passion.

The political arena has become a lions den, and although I know God could use me in it if I submit like Daniel, I prefer not to land myself in it.  And I've begun a happier chapter of my life when I decide to let who I am belong to God and not the political arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment