Tuesday, September 27, 2011

creation of my backseat blog

People have always been enchanted with world travel.  For some of us, the traveling experience is of higher priority than the destination.  We dream of travel because we dream of discovering a world that is larger than our own.  The universe seems like a theater where the drama of life is played out, and most people are anxious to seize front row seats.  


The things I like about traveling are all the wrong things.  While most of the destinations have been nice, I am most at peace in the backseat looking out the window.  Up-front passengers look at the road in constant anticipation of what is ahead.  People in the backseat are forced to look out the side window.  We're forced to see what is happening now.  Speed has never stopped me from picking up details.  


When the driver stops to take a rest, the yellow line down the road is almost permanently ingrained into his brain.   Back seat riders don't have to worry about yellow lines, interpreting road signs, searching for the nearest gas station and hearing a GPS tell you it has decided to recalculate.  We can just be. 


Nothing allows me to wrestle with myself like a good road trip.  This is the place where I do my best thinking about God, eternity, my life, the people I love, my habits, my dreams, and the things that make life worth while.  This is the place I discover who I really am.  


If life was a roadtrip, I would be content to sit in the backseat the entire ride.  It's a place where no one is looking at you, and gives you a perspective that no one else has been able to understand.  It's secluded, and if you're lucky, right next to the speakers.  The downside is, you no longer have access to the radio dial.  You learn to deal with the music as it comes.


Perspective is exactly what this blog is about.  Think of it like a travel's diary, except this traveler isn't leaving where she's at any time soon.  It's just me, looking out the window at the landscape of my life.  My thoughts are here for anyone who wishes to read them.  

1 comment: